[Babel-users] Rate limiting [was: New Version Notification...]

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Wed May 27 22:19:37 UTC 2015

> If the [throughput] is 1Mbit it would extend past the hello interval.

If you've got 10 000 nodes and 1Mbit/s links, you'll really want to
implement some filtering or aggregation.  Or perhaps add some extra
mechanisms to babeld (such as sending updates for default routes reliably).

> If you send them all in a burst that will definately induce tail loss on
> many networks. Randomizing your start point in your update would ensure
> more routes got through.

The starting point is randomized (delayed by up to one-half the hello
interval, if memory serves), but all the packets of a full update get sent
without pause.  I could easily add some jitter between the individual
packets, if you can show me a network where it matters.

> My vision here is the city of SF (or, Paris, take your pick), all meshed
> together with a koruza/wired/wifi backbone supplementing (or one day
> supplanting) the existing half dozen ISPs.

Over 802.11 in IBSS mode?  Good luck with that.

> Or take a guifi, for example.

They're smart guys, they perform aggregation.

> cool. If you get around to updating the babel doesn't care document
> or main rfc, these might be good points to call out.

I think it should remain fairly short, without too many technical details.

-- Juliusz