[Babel-users] ad-hoc networks behave like mesh using babel?

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Tue Apr 19 19:31:10 UTC 2016

> 1) I waited for almost 10 minutes but Babel does not seem to recover
> from the ! routes automatically.  It does so only when I restart the
> babel daemon

That's not normal.  If the state file is lost, babeld should recover after
200 seconds (3min 20s).  If you manage to get it stuck again, I'll be
grateful for a state dump (kill -USR1).

Perhaps you had two instances of babeld running at the same time with the
same router-id?

> 2) -S seems to be working fine.  But the issue is the state file is
> written only when we shut down the daemon and it is erased when we again
> start the daemon if someone pulls the plug of the host or the host
> crashes, there is no state file written and we are back to the original
> problem

That's correct.  If the state file is not written out correctly, the loop
avoidance mechanism gets confused, and discards all routes for 200 seconds.

> Is there any solution for this apart from using the -r option?

No, the 3min silent time is a natural consequence of having a stateful
loop avoidance mechanism.  -r is a good workaround.

-- Juliusz