[Babel-users] [BUG] Route "deadlocks" under load due to non-atomic kernel route updates

Kirill Smelkov kirr at nexedi.com
Sun Jun 12 17:27:06 UTC 2016

( +iv, Nicolas's address corrected )

Dear Juliusz, Dave, thanks for reply.

First of all I'd like to say I'm new to routing & friends, but I'll try
to provide feedback:

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 08:47:34PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Dear Kirill,
>
> Thank you very much for the detailed analysis.

You are welcome.

> If I read you correctly, this looks like a kernel bug: incorrect
> invalidation of the route cache.  While we have seen some similar bugs in
> earlier kernel versions, they were not triggered by something that
> simple -- you needed to do some non-trivial rule manipulation in order to
> trigger them.

Initially I too thought this is incorrect invalidation of the kernel
route cache - i.e. some cloned routes were created, and on new route
addition the route add procedure somehow logically misses the clone,
i.e. if it is in some other subtree or something like that.

What we have here is of another kind - it is inherent race condition
inside kernel - because after route lookup a cloned route is born with table
lock unheld, and then the clone is tried to be inserted into FIB. Yes,
there is a check that if some other clone with same /128 address is
already in FIB (potentially added there in-between while table lock was
unheld) the whole lookup is retried.

But if there is no other same-address /128 clone it does not mean the
corresponding real route could not change in between table lock was
unheld.

( To me it looks it is computationally-expensive, at least with straightforward
  implementation, to check for whether newly installed cloned route should not be
  invalidated by any other route installment - as table has to be scanned for
  other routes that would match. Imho the best way to deal with this is
  not to have route cache at all - like Linux already does for IPv4, and
  like it is now in 95% of the cases with Facebook patches for IPv6 (>=
  4.2 kernel). )

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 11:26:48AM -0700, Dave Taht also wrote:
> Quagga, at least, switched to atomic updates some time ago, I think.
>
> http://patchwork.quagga.net/patch/1234/

First of all I tend to think in Re6stnet links are changed more
frequently compared to usual conditions. The probability to hit the race
is higher with high rate of route changes and high traffic. I cannot say
we have really high traffic on lab.nexedi.com, but the site is constantly being
pulled by our bots requesting raw blob contents from repositories, so let's say
we have 15-30-50 requests/second all the time as a background + traffic when
humans use the site.

Then, if there was no network-wide unreachable route (unreachable
2001:67c:1254::/48 in my original mail), unreachable cache entry would
_not_ be created, as cache entries are created only if route lookup
finds some entry in FIB, not upon "entry not found". I tend to think
many setups maybe do not have network-wide unreachable route, but I'm
not sure about this.

Regarding Quagga and Bird: I have not used them at all, but after quick
glance I can see: