[Babel-users] Babel on itty bitty boxes

Matthieu Boutier boutier at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri Mar 25 09:41:39 UTC 2016

> I checked and IPV6_SUBTREES is disabled in the raspbian kernel
> build. I filed a bug.

Good to know.  What if you specify explicitly to babeld not to use subtrees:

ipv6-subtrees false

> It is straightforward to build a new kernel whenever get around to it.

It's written "optional", yeah?  So it should not be that much important.
Remove it!

>>> routerB does not get the "default from" routes.
>>
>> Aren't they even sent on the link ? (tcpdump from rpi)
>
> rpi3, c2, c1, x86 box are on the same switch.

Ah ok, so what's in the babel RIB on rpi?
(killall -USR1 babeld; cat /var/log/babeld.log)

> All of them have ip rule support.

That should be sufficient.

> the rpi3 does not seem to be forwarding default from.

tcpdump to be sure.  Don't look only in the FIB (ip r)… you won't be
able to accurately locate the problem.  What you say is that:

  - routerA has and exports a SS route,
  - x86 correctly installs the route,
  - x86, rpi1 and c1 are on the same switch,
  - c1 don't install the SS route in its FIB,
  - rpi1 installs the route with rules, but don't forward it.

Where is the problem for c1?

  - Between babeld and the wire? (what's in the babeld's RIB?)
  - Between babeld and the FIB? (is there something in the log?)
  - Inside babeld? (btw, what is in babeld.conf)

Where is the problem for rpi1?

  - Is the route correctly installed for babeld ? (babeld's RIB + log)
  - Have you checked that rpi1 actually didn't send anything (tcpdump)

Matthieu