[Babel-users] babel export routes from bird to routing table?

Benjamin Henrion zoobab at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 08:39:01 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Christof Schulze
<christof.schulze at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello Juliusz,
>
>>> At a later stage I would like to announce different default-routes at
>>> different places in the mesh network.
>>
>> Why?
>
> I am working on integrating babel into gluon, which is a framework for
> building freifunk-firmwares.
> Freifunk is a project where large, mostly wifi, mesh networks are built to
> enable open wifi access throughout a city. In Frankfurt the Freifunk Network
> consists of roughly 500 concurrent cheap wifi routers. Besides wifi about
> 2/3 of these routers are running vpn connections to one of a few servers to
> get parts of the network connected that do not have a direct wifi
> connection.
>
> At the moment batman is used as mesh protocol for this network. Batman works
> but has the drawback that we are reaching the limits of what the protocol
> can handle due to saturation effects on relatively small VPN Uplinks on DSL.
> Mostly little packets saturate the links without even using a lot of
> bandwidth. There is not much room for scaling to more network nodes. The
> current network can be seen here: Http://map.ffm.freifunk.net
>
> I, among others who are also working on this, am very interested in trying a
> layer 3 mesh network in the hope that the resulting network will scale
> significantly better.

You could try to reduce the interval of the probes to a test every 2
minutes, or even more, which is enough for a highly static network.

There is no need to pollute the network with routing traffic if you
have a highly static network (not mobile).

I remember a comment of Juliusz saying he reverted back some change
for the defaults to a more frequent value because because some users
were complaining, don't remember what was the parameter in babel.conf
though.

Best,

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-3500762