[Babel-users] automating route injection

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 19:32:40 UTC 2017

what I've typically done to export a single IP is add it to the babel
configuration file, and I also use covering routes a lot, essentially
the same method.

redistribute local ip fd99::66/128 eq 128 allow
redistribute ip 172.26.130.0/23 eq 23 allow
redistribute local deny

While this works, as more and more of my stuff ends up getting dynamic
addresses (ipv6,
tunnels), something simpler that pulled from a kernel table
dynamically, rather than requiring
reconfiguration seemed desirable. Doing things like this

config filter
        option 'type' 'redistribute'
        option 'ip' '::/0'
        option 'le' '61'
        option 'action' 'allow'

break when you end up getting a bunch of /64s from elsewhere instead
of a coherent range...

the soon to be stable lede/openwrt has a new facility to automatically
insert routes into different tables (you add ipv4table or ipv6table to
the interface setup).

So I thought that I'd simplify matters (hah!) by using that ipvXtable
facility and change my babel
configuration to just pull from a specific kernel table, but thus far
with a variety of attempts, singleton routes like:

ip -6 addr add fd99::66/128 dev lo
ip -6 route add fd99::66/128 dev lo table 8
root at chip-6:~# ip -6 route show table 8
unreachable fd99::66 dev lo  metric 1024  error -101

never manage to get exported to the universe (filtered out due to
be-ing locally unreachable?), or,
if exported, remain unreachable...

I've tried various combinations of

import-table 8
install table 8
redistribute table 8
redistribute local table 8

* Side note

The recent babel 1.8 commit into lede does not include support for the
install or table keywords in filters. I can fix that....

there is sadly no support for inserting stuff into a proto rather than
table in lede.

--
Dave Täht
http://blog.cerowrt.org