[Babel-users] Propagation of unknown sub-TLV?

Lorenzo Ghiro lorenzo.ghiro at unitn.it
Wed Jan 24 10:14:51 UTC 2018

> <<[…] If the explicit length of a TLV defined by the original protocol is
> larger than its natural length, the extra space present in the TLV is
> silently ignored by an implementation of the original protocol;
> extended implementations MAY use it to store arbitrary data and
> SHOULD structure the additional data as a sequence of sub-TLVs. […]>>

Hi everybody,

I have the following problem. I would like that Babel-nodes
running an implementation of the original protocol (call them
standard-nodes)
would be able to "forward information" contained in sub-TLVs
coming from "extended-nodes". In other terms, instead of silently
ignoring unknown sub-TLVs, I would like that standard nodes
would be able to propagate (even without processing) information
they do not understand, e.g. some special attributes of a source
included in a sub-TLV attached to a router-id parent TLV.

Is it possible to accomplish this kind of “silent-propagation”?
For instance, I am thinking to this in order to deploy an extension
without the need to reboot the whole network.

Thank you and regards,

Lorenzo Ghiro

PS: In BGP it seems there is something similar, the so called
Optional transitive Path Attributes (https://tools.ietf.org/html/
rfc4271#section-5)