[Babel-users] Babel with VPP

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Mon Mar 11 11:02:34 GMT 2024

Hello Pim,

> I finished a few small code changes in VPP to allow transit-net-less transport
> of IPv4 and IPv6 in VPP and wrote about it on
> https://ipng.ch/s/articles/2024/03/06/vpp-babel-1.html. Considering this
> dataplane has some different idioms than Linux, it took a bit of work.

First of all, thanks a lot for doing the write up.  In Academia, we are
evaluated among others on the number of citations we get, not on the
amount of deployment, so every time somebody does a quality write up
mentioning usage of Babel, this is helpful.

I find it interesting that you find Babel useful on a carrier network.
Since I've been working under the impression that IS-IS is absolutely
perfect (TM) in carrier networks, we have no experience whatsoever with
that case.  For example, while Babel (the protocol) has good support for
very high Hello rates (up to 100 Hz), I don't think we've every seriously
experimented with sub-second convergence times.  Similarly, we do have
some support for using layer-2 link state, but the current implementation
is badly sub-optimal.  So please keep us posted with your experiences, and
don't hesitate to share your ideas for improvements.

Thanks again,

-- Juliusz