[Bash-completion-devel] completion of ':' mangles filename

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Sun May 11 13:42:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, 11 May 2008 14:34:06 +0100 (BST), Reuben Thomas wrote:

> On Sun, 11 May 2008, David Paleino wrote:
>
> > ":" is a special Bash character [1], and we can't do anything about that.
>
> There's clearly a bug here: at the very least, non-existent, incorrect
> completions should not be produced.

The version I currently have does not produce the output you reported, i.e.:

$ man Debian[TAB]
Debian::DictionariesCommon  DebianNet
$ man Debian:[TAB]
$ man Debian:

That means, it does not produce "non-existent, incorrect completions". I have
bash-completion/20060301-4 installed, try that.

> More reasonably, bash's completion mechanism should be fixed.
>
> Hence, please reassign the bug as you think fit; I agree that assignment to
> bash would seem to be the obvious choice.

I'll wait for other people's comments about this. I've just started hacking
bash-completion, hence I may have missed something.

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino