[Bash-completion-devel] Hosting bugs on Launchpad? (was: Re: Launchpad: Claim existing team)

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 14:30:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 13:55:55 -0000, Launchpad wrote:

> David Paleino (dpaleino) tried to claim the Launchpad
> team named Bash Completion Maintainers (bash-completion-devel) (which is
> associated with bash-completion-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org).

This is because Launchpad automatically created the team when we uploaded our
last package to Debian. But there was no human behind it.

Now, since Alioth's tracker is a bit awkward, the idea of using Launchpad came
to my mind. It has some pros and cons, though:

Pros:
 - public API (though experimental) -- we might do some sort of script to
   automatically tag bugs when we fix them in bzr, ...;
 - actively maintained -- Alioth's GForge is not, and that's because not many
   projects are really using it as upstream bug tracker;
 - bug linking with distributions BTS -- a bug X can be linked to Debian's Y,
   Gentoo's Z, Fedora's K. (I've seen this with bugs linked both to Ubuntu and
   Debian bugs, but I suppose we could add Gentoo/Fedora/other bug tracking
   systems as well, or ask for those)
 - blueprints (like our /Proposals/ subsection in the wiki)
 - other?

Cons:
 - not (completely?) free software :/ -- this is not a MAJOR blocker to me, but
   I'm having some doubts. I'm a free software guy -- but Alioth's tracker
   kinda sucks too.
 - additional registration required -- existing developers *must* register to
   Alioth to commit to bzr/git/svn (whatever comes out from the survey), but
   they would need to register to Launchpad to handle bugs. Yes, we could argue
   that we could host the code on Launchpad, but it only has bzr -- and we're
   doing the survey to see if we can move from that, aren't we? ;-)
 - other?

I've registered a testing project at https://staging.launchpad.net/ , to see
which features we could use, and how they are like.

Kind regards,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino