[Bash-completion-devel] _expand, scp and quoting

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Feb 6 21:27:58 UTC 2009

On Saturday 24 January 2009, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Hello,
>
> http://bzr.debian.org/loggerhead/bash-completion/current/revision/1170?
>
> I don't think the above change is actually wrong but it has broken at
> least "scp ~/<TAB>" completion.

I've looked into this some more.  In addition to breaking _scp, it has also
broken _java_packages when arguments start with ~.  I thought I'd look for
more things that might have been broken but just by looking at the two issues
above I don't think it makes sense to spend more time in searching, it's
quite clear that there are and/or will be more things broken in subtle, hard
to notice ways when arguments start with ~ (when accessed in commands, bash
quotes the tilde instead of expanding it).

I've reverted the above and added some comments to _expand, I think the slight
(subjective) annoyance reported in Debian #489720 is a small price to pay for
less hard to find bugs.