[Bash-completion-devel] Roadmap proposal

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Feb 15 08:50:03 UTC 2009

On Saturday 14 February 2009, David Paleino wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:14:29 +0000 (UTC), Freddy Vulto wrote:
> > [..] maybe we'd better release bash_completion-2 (or ..200902xx) [..]
>
> I was starting a branch for the release process... what version number you
> believe is "sane"?
>
> I'd start at 1.0, (so as not to be necessarily linked to the bash version),
> and the "date" format is kinda weird to me.

Going from 200902xx to 1.0 (or just about anything else) will cause some
headaches with package updates.  In rpm land Epoch would need to be used,
dunno about other package formats but I suppose they have similar mechanisms.
I have no problem with that, it's obviously doable, just thought I'd mention
it in case someone didn't think of it.  I wouldn't have any problem with
sticking with date based versions either, but I suppose it would be confusing
in case someone intends to maintain two separate branches (does someone?).