[Bash-completion-devel] Mandriva handling of bash completion

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 13:20:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:14:51 +0000 (UTC), Freddy Vulto wrote:

> Merging Debian-completion with bash-completion-lib is possible (and I'm in
> favor).  Here're already a few things to consider:
>
> 1.  Completions reside in a somewhat arcane directory-structure:

Yes, I already saw that the last time I saw your code (i.e. some months ago) :-)
Also, I saw your proposal has been added to
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/BashCompletion/Proposals/NewDirectoryLayout ,
great!

> [..]
> 4.  Helper functions reside in a subdirectory `include'.  Helper functions can
> be loaded by calling `comp_include', e.g.
> ./completions/complete-nohostcomplete/ssh does:
>
>    comp_include _dequote _known_hosts

Any reason for this?
Since those are "helper functions", I suppose they might as well go where
comp_include is defined (i.e. I don't think you define comp_include in each
completion file) [0]

[0] didn't have the time to have a look at the code, and probably won't have
until the end of the week :/

> If merging proves difficult, maybe we can start with sharing the DejaGNU test
> suite.  The test suite is already split into two parts: loading and
> completing, and I'm already using the test suite for completions of both
> Debian-completion and bash-completion-lib.  I think the best solution would
> be to extract the test suite from bash-completion-lib and make it a separate
> project?

You answered yourself:

> But maybe I'm jumping to a conclusion too fast.  If completion-lib merges with
> Debian-completion maybe there's no need to keep a separate test suite.  Did I
> already say I was in favor of merging and make completion loading 5-10 times
> faster(!)

It's not just a matter of speed (though that is very welcome, and I'd support
it even if it was 1.1 times faster ;-)), but just a matter of smartness. It's
not smart loading everything on login, but it is doing it when the command is
actually being completed. So it's really needed, apart from speed performance.

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino