[Bash-completion-devel] Mandriva handling of bash completion

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 10:03:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:36:06 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> On Sunday 18 January 2009, David Paleino wrote:
>
> > It's not smart loading everything on login, but it is doing it
> > when the command is actually being completed. So it's really needed, apart
> > from speed performance.
>
> Dumb question: has anyone evaluated the performance characteristics of if
> completion modules were instead of sourced shell functions implemented as
> executable scripts (not necessarily even shell ones) that would just be
> called with the appropriate environment and options, and that would echo
> their results to stdout, and used with complete -C?

No, didn't even think at that.

> This way I suppose the amount of stuff to load at startup would decrease
> radically but the scripts would be continuously loaded and invoked anew for
> every completion in every shell.

Well, we should really adopt Freddy's implementation IMHO, as it sounds cleaner
(even if the directory structure is just a mess ;-))

Ville, if you feel this is something to be discussed, add it to the Proposal
page (or, you could even create a new "Research" page, to experiment things
like this)

Kindly,
David

--