[Bash-completion-devel] roadmap ?

Freddy Vulto fvulto at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 06:54:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Ville Skyttä<ville.skytta at iki.fi> wrote:
> I have no problems with this plan (although I have a pile of fairly innocent
> patches that I'd like to see go in the next release, more on that in a
> separate mail).  But the test suite sure would be nice to have, and I have no
> idea how much work adopting that would be - if not too long, stick with the
> plan to include it in the next release.  Freddy?

+1 to include the test suite in the next release.  That is, the test suite is
only necessary for development so we might only include the test suite in a
bash-completion *source* package (or even just in git) and omit the test suite
in a bash-completion 'binary' package?

I've been anticipating and adopting/improving the bash-completion-lib test
suite already.  Current state is I've taken `ssh' and `_known_hosts' as first
examples.  The tests are running (although the tests show ssh and _known_hosts
need fixing ;-).  Latest accomplishment is that the tests show if variables are
not cleaned up, i.e. if the environment is modified!

All tests of bash_completion_lib need adjusting to the latest improvements, but
that should be no big deal.  I think putting them in a `to_review' directory
would be a good starting point.  What's also desired is passing the location of
`bash' to the test suite so we can automatically test bash versions 2, 3 and 4.
Right now the test suite is taking just /bin/bash.

Also should be noticed that the test suite can be made as infinite or as small
as one desires.  One can always 'release' bash-completion while being aware the
test suite isn't covering anything... because the test suite is never going to
cover anything!  The test suite is just sitting aside, helping us guide against
degrading and assuring us specifications are met.  Keep in mind the tests
should execute quick because they're gonna be run often!  And keep the tests
clear and simple because we want to fix bugs in bash-completion, not in the
tests ;-)

So I'm eager to know what you think of the current test suite and if
you all find it workable.  I think we should start using the test
suite better sooner than later.  Shall I upload/push the test suite?

Regards, Freddy