[Bash-completion-devel] vncviewer

Freddy Vulto fvulto at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 08:36:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Guillaume Rousse
<Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr> wrote:
>>   $ readlink -f "$(which vncviewer)"
> /usr/bin/vncviewer

Hmm, I believe `which' is Debian specific.  Perhaps `type' works.
What does this output on your machine:

   $ readlink -f "$(type -p vncviewer)"

assuming `/usr/bin/vncviewer' is a symlink to `tightvncviewer' on your machine?

> This only works in this case, but assume we can distinguish between case
> using executable name.
>
> We'll have the same issue for command having exactly the same name, but
> implemented differently across distributions, such as mkinitrd, for
> instance.

Maybe we can do a `<command> --version' in those cases, or are you
saying we should do this always and never rely on resolving the
symlink?  At least if we make sure to move it to a bootstrap function
it is not affecting initial setup time.

Regards,
Freddy Vulto
http://fvue.nl