[Bash-completion-devel] [Bash-completion-commits] [SCM] bash-completion branch, master, updated. 0f2656669fbdf627a3ddf11bdb72e3ec9cef68fd

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Mar 31 19:26:41 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009, David Paleino wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:10:17 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Tuesday 31 March 2009, David Paleino wrote:

> > > But "git log" is a mess, and cherry-picking isn't easy.
> > >
> > > What are you guys using?
> >
> > Plain git CLI.
>
> Eh, I meant "which git command", sorry for not being clearer.

git log, git cherry-pick, sometimes qgit for viewing the history and browsing
diffs.

> Ah. Well, I read somewhere that rebasing, when working on shared, published
> repsoitories, is *evil*. OTOH, I can't recall why it's bad

It's bad if done *in* a published repository because it essentially rewrites
history.  I don't see anything wrong with it when done only in local working
copies which aren't published/shared anywhere.

> -- and I never
> used it, really. Why are you using it? In which cases?

Whenever I have local commits that haven't for whatever reason made it to the
upstream repository which has moved on.  Granted, I use it mostly with
projects where I don't have commit access, dunno if I've used it with bash-
completion.

> -u, --update-head-ok
>     By default git-fetch refuses to update the head which corresponds
>     to the current branch. This flag disables the check. This is purely
>     for the internal use for git-pull to communicate with git-fetch,
>     and unless you are implementing your own Porcelain you are not
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     supposed to use it.
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Is there any reason why you -u?

Yes, muscle memory.  When I started learning git, I probably read some
instructions that said "git pull -u" corresponds to say "cvs update" and have
not bothered to re-check that habit afterwards.  I'll look into dropping the
habit.

> > thanks to yours truly.
>
> My what?

Nothing :).  "Yours truly" == me in a message written by me.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/yours+truly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valediction#Yours_truly.2C