[Bash-completion-devel] Patch review needed

Elan Ruusamäe glen at delfi.ee
Mon Sep 21 10:37:16 UTC 2009

On Monday 21 September 2009 00:35:38 Ville Skyttä wrote:
> I also have some reservations about 3).  _rpm_installed_packages is used at
> least by apt in bash-completion, as well as rpmlint and rpmdevtools (both
> upstream, not in bash-completion) completions, and I'm not at all sure they
> all handle the name-version-release.arch format.  And I'm not sure if that
> format buys us much at all - I do see the value in name.arch but the rest
> seem pretty much just noise to me

why not check that the other tools can handle complete match? i suppose they
all eventually route the query to rpm itself, which can handle complete or
partial matches...

as for the nvra matches, if you have several versions of package installed,
then tab complete should be able to give exact package names which to
uninstall. adding only .arch would make result still ambigious (in case you
have two versions of same %{name} installed from same %{arch}).

having two versions installed is quite common if you run rpm upgrade and old
package %postun fails with an error. or if you want to rpm -i/-e some kernel
package.

--
glen