[Bash-completion-devel] Weird compopt.exp unit test problem

Crestez Dan Leonard cdleonard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 15:30:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 21:24 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Huh, why does it end up invoking "d $TESTDIR" instead of "cd $TESTDIR", and I
> suppose the first char of the "{ set; ... " command got lost too?  I tried
> bisecting but didn't find any particular commit that causes this so I suppose
> it's something related to my environment.  Other unit and completion tests
> appear to work fine.  Ideas?
I can reproduce it on Ubuntu Karmic; with the following package
versions:

$ dpkg-query -W expect tcllib tcl bash dejagnu
bash	4.0-5ubuntu2
dejagnu	1.4.4.git20080407-1
expect	5.43.0-17
tcl	8.4.16-2
tcllib	1.11.1-dfsg-2

It seems that this is really a failure in test code. The expect call in
test/unit/compgen.exp doesn't swallow the prompt, then sync_after_int
swallows then earlier prompt and so on. Perhaps this problem is only
revealed by certain versions of expect? I didn't take a very close look.