[Bash-completion-devel] Bump match_max for test suite?

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Sat Jan 9 12:02:02 UTC 2010

Le 09/01/2010 12:21, Ville Skyttä a écrit :
> On Saturday 09 January 2010, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>> The following commit has been merged in the master branch:
>> commit 66f5c11ab7894125039fc366c80d651f06587c43
>> Author: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi>
>> Date:   Sat Jan 9 11:44:36 2010 +0200
>>
>>     (testsuite) Add simple rpm completion tests.
> [...]
>> +set _old_match_max [match_max]
>> +match_max 100000
> [...]
>> +match_max $_old_match_max
>
> Expect's default buffer size is too small - 2000 bytes according to the man
> page here - for cases where we have a lot of completions.  In addition to rpm,
> there are at least pkg_info, portupgrade, portinstall, and probably quite a
> few other tests that have this problem.
>
> Opinions, should we fiddle with match_max where needed (like
> lib/completions/rpm.exp above), or should we just bump it to a large value
> (100000?) for all tests?  I'm leaning towards the latter.
I guess it's because you have a large rpm db, right ? Should we not try
to provide a constant test environement, instead of relying of tester
one ? It may be difficult in some case (such as creating a fake rpm db
here), but others (such as host completion relying on content of
HOSTFILE) should be more easy to mock.

--
BOFH excuse #129:

The ring needs another token