[Bash-completion-devel] Bump match_max for test suite?

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Sat Jan 16 12:51:19 UTC 2010

Le 16/01/2010 10:39, Crestez Dan Leonard a écrit :
> On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 13:02 +0100, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> I guess it's because you have a large rpm db, right ? Should we not try
>> to provide a constant test environement, instead of relying of tester
>> one ? It may be difficult in some case (such as creating a fake rpm db
>> here), but others (such as host completion relying on content of
>> HOSTFILE) should be more easy to mock.
>
> Isn't that unreasonably hard? There are completions for a lot of
> programs; some of which can even conflict (for example dpkg and rpm). It
> makes sense to run as many tests as possible and report what was not
> tested. Assuming multiple people run the tests on different systems
> regressions should still be caught.
>
> A test could simply check that 'loc<TAB>' complete into
> 'localhost' (among possibly others). I could then report untested if the
> system has no entry for localhost. For some programs such assumptions
> would make it a easier to write more complicated tests. I believe it's
> acceptable to include various assumptions in tests as long as it doesn't
> generate spurious failures. Is that OK?
Avoiding assumptions whenever possible ensure consistent results, that's
my point. The test you describe will fail, without added value to
anyone, when run by a user with a 'locanything' host in its
/etc/resolv.conf file.
--
BOFH excuse #314:

You need to upgrade your VESA local bus to a MasterCard local bus.