[Bash-completion-devel] Running tests against multiple bash versions.

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Jan 24 12:48:08 UTC 2010

On Sunday 24 January 2010, Freddy Vulto wrote:
> I've updated
>
>   http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/BashCompletion/Proposals/DropBash2Support
>
> and set the minimum required version for bash-completion-2 to
> bash-3.2.39. Bash-3.2.39 happens to be the minimal bash version on
> Debian-5.0.3, but this minimal version is open for debate.

I've lowered it to 3.2.25 which is the version on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
and derivatives.  I use bash-completion on it actively and I'm willing to test
and try to fix stuff.

> Right now 3.2.39 is the lowest version of bash against which I run
> nightly tests, so if we decide on a lower version, I could compile this
> and run tests against this as well

I wonder what "trustworthy" static bash binaries are available out there (or
if we could make some available), that'd make testing easier.  For example
Debian's bash-static 3.2.39 (amd64) appears to run fine on my Fedora 11 box.
I'll take a look if I can build a static version of the RHEL/CentOS 3.2.25
one.