[Bash-completion-devel] Work-needing packages report for Oct 24, 2008

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Sun Jan 31 13:57:39 UTC 2010

Hello,

Am 2010-01-31 14:23:56, schrieb David Paleino:
> Guess what, we're upstream, this is the upstream mailing list, and the mails
> reach also !Debian people ;)

I mean upstream of the other packages...

> However, I believe coordinating with maintainers is a no-go. We currently have
> 158 completions in contrib/ (i.e. bash_completion.d/), and coordinating with
> that much maintainers is going to cause headaches after the first five
> minutes. I was in favour of this policy too, in the beginning, but then
> consider the maintainance burden we (as upstream) and I (as Debian maintainer)
> would have. That would just be crazy -- unless each project gives us commit
> access limited to the completion file, and each of us (the team members)
> focuses on some projects. But that's not going to work, at all :)

:-(   It was ONLY an idea.

> > It is realy annoying if I see, bash_completion sucks around currently 12
> > MByte of memory.
>
> That's not possible, really. Not all completions are loaded, unless you have
> ALL the commands available on your system.

Hmmm, it seesm I have a problem on my Devel-Station, because  it  is  an
old package which was never updated...  since 2 years!  --  Weird!

The old version of bash-completion has loaded the whole stuf into memory

> Bad Michelle, bad. :P

I was arround 2 years not active, because I have a  new  enterprise  for
Electronic Development and now I am at the point, WHERE I HAVE  TO  COME
BACK to get my stuff working with Debian GNU/Linux.

Without OS my products are screwed...

> Exactly :)
> Or, reload itself someway, or other such nasty things I'm not willing even to
> think about.

:-D  Yeah, this will save you some Paracetamol...

> We have its author (Freddy Vulto) in the team, and one of our targets is merge
> both projects.
> However, there's a package for it in Debian, if you're willing to try it.

OK, I am ongoing (i some days) to buy a new and  bigger  hadrddrive  and
reinstall my Devel-Station because I think, there ae many things  I  can
do, even if I stay more or less in my own project.

I have a list of 38 packags which are important for my projects.

> I believe this could be something bash or readline related. We're really
> calling "compgen", not outputting anything ourselves.

OK, I parse the output, check it for DIR/EEC and use ESC sequnces...

But if not carefully coded it screw up the display...  So,  currently  I
can only say: "It works for me and my Work/Devel-Station!"

On my ARM Microcontroller (AT91SAM9263) with a 4"  480x272  TFT  display
attached and framebuffer it screew up the screen , but on my  TI  Sitara
AM3517 it works.  :-/

> Have a nice day,
> David

Have a nice Sunday
    Michelle Konzack
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193