[Bash-completion-devel] Undo commit 00560a8 ("_filedir: bash > 4 ... $cur beginning with ' or not")

Freddy Vulto fvulto at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 12:51:27 UTC 2010

Hello David,

Commit 00560a8 ("_filedir: bash > 4 has the same behaviour regardless of
$cur beginning with ' or not") is failing tests on bash-4.0 and 4.1:

    FAIL: completing f a\'b/ should return i
    FAIL: completing f a\"b/ should return i
    FAIL: f a\$b/ should show completions
    FAIL: f a\\b/ should show completions
    FAIL: completing f2 a\'b/ should return i
    FAIL: completing f2 a\"b/ should return i
    FAIL: f2 a\$b/ should show completions
    FAIL: f2 a\\b/ should show completions

In your example `_filedir' is run from the command line, causing this
command:

    compgen -f -X '!*.in' -- ''\'''\'''

to fail.  I could modify `_quote_readline_by_ref()' to return empty
string instead of '', but `compgen' is a peculiar thing and not really
supposed to run from the command line.  Hence I can't reproduce your bug
with an added test ("completing with filter '.e1' should show
completions") and therefore I'll undo your commit in commit caaf588.

Or do you have a completion example where things go wrong?

Regards,

Freddy Vulto
http://fvue.nl