[Bash-completion-devel] _get_comp_words_by_ref

Freddy Vulto fvulto at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 10:21:36 UTC 2010

On 100210 21:48, Freddy Vulto wrote:
> Maybe we can make the varnames non-optional, and also provide shortcuts by
> using the arguments, indicating which fixed varnames to return:

Done so in commit bdca37a in branch `use-_get_comp_words_by_ref':

Improve _get_comp_words_by_ref to return `words' and `cword':

    Usage: _get_comp_words_by_ref [OPTIONS] [VARNAMES]
    Available VARNAMES:
        cur         Return cur within varname "cur"
        prev        Return prev within varname "prev"
        words       Return words within varname "words"
        cword       Return cword within varname "cword"

    Available OPTIONS:
        -n EXCLUDE  Characters out of $COMP_WORDBREAKS which should NOT be
                    considered word breaks. This is useful for things like scp
                    where we want to return host:path and not only path, so we
                    would pass the colon (:) as -n option in this case.  Bash-3
                    doesn't do word splitting, so this ensures we get the same
                    word on both bash-3 and bash-4.
        -c VARNAME  Return cur within specified VARNAME
        -p VARNAME  Return prev within specified VARNAME
        -w VARNAME  Return words within specified VARNAME
        -i VARNAME  Return cword within specified VARNAME

    Example usage:

       $ _get_comp_words_by_ref -n : cur words cword

Greetings,

Freddy Vulto
http://fvue.nl