[Bash-completion-devel] Bash competion should also load files from /usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d

Alexandre Quessy alexandre at quessy.net
Mon Nov 1 05:52:23 UTC 2010

Hello,
I just filled a bug on Alioth. I also send it here, in case the answer
is faster. I also noticed that the formatting is very bad on Alioth.

-------------------------------------
[#312795] Bash completion should also load files from
/usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=312795&group_id=100114&atid=413095

In which paths does the bash completion look? By looking at
/etc/bash_completion, I think it's only /etc/bash_completion, not
/usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d

That means that my Makefile.am should not install the bash completion
file to $(sysconfdir)/bash_completion.d, but rather to
/etc/bash_completion.d. (hard-coded)

Here is an example from my Toonloop project:

completiondir = $(sysconfdir)/bash_completion.d
dist_completion_DATA = toonloop

That's slightly annoying, because installing from a tarball will
override the file from the Debian package, if installed.

It would be much nicer if the /etc/bash_completion would also look in
the /usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d directory.

Am I right?
Best regards,

Alexandre Quessy
http://wiki.debian.org/AlexandreQuessy