[Bash-completion-devel] [Bash-completion-commits] [SCM] bash-completion branch, master, updated. 7d45595493e1f830a3ddbdff845f05ce5a0bc696

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Oct 26 17:46:04 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 26 October 2010, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Le 25/10/2010 20:50, Ville Skyttä a écrit :
> >     Mandriva has applied a similar patch for some time already, although
> >     their environment variable name was different ($COMP_AVAHI_BROWSE).
>
> I'm still interested in merging remaining similar patches (for rpm
> database completion,

I don't personally find rpmdb completion too slow to warrant it being off by
default.  And unlike the avahi case with known hosts completion (which still
returns quite meaningful results without avahi), I think completing installed
package names for rpm commands that need them is quite essential.

> and scp remote filesystem completion),

This one can be slow, but is it really a problem?  Again compared to the
avahi+known_hosts case it's different - if we disable this, then there are no
remote file completions at all.  People can already accomplish that by just
not hitting tab directly after the colon.  Or do I miss something?

So my opinion about the rpm and scp cases above is that they should not be
turned off by default, but if someone wants to do it the other way around and
provide a variable that people can set if they want them turned off, no
objections here.

> and standardising variable names.

Yep, I think this should be considered as part of the function naming roadmap
item for 2.0.