[Bash-completion-devel] using external helpers for completion

Freddy Vulto fvulto at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 22:25:13 UTC 2010

On 100828 18:32, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> So, I'm absolutly OK for another symlink as a temporary solution, but
> I'd prefer to achieve our long-time objective as well. And if testing
> has specific issues, I'd prefer them to be solved by test-time only
> solutions/hacks/whatever than permanent setup ones.

Hello Guillaume,

I've moved ./helpers to ./completions/helpers so that bash_completion
can be run directly from a git clone and the test suite runs without
errors, closing Alioth #312729, awaiting a final setup.

I'm not sure if the configure/make process is still running fine...
you'll probably have to test/fix it.

The remaining error reported by the test suite however, was that perldoc
option-completion is now missing; it's not in the pure perl perldoc
completion helper, whereas the code underneath was in the bash perldoc
completion:

-    if [[ "$cur" == -* ]]; then
-        COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W '-C -s -T -u -U -W -X -h -v -V -c -w -d \
-            -D -p -n -a -F -l -0 -I -m -M -P -S -x -i -e ' -- "$cur" ) )

Are you aware of that?  Anyway, I removed the test case from the test suite for
now.

I'm reading up on autotools and I see how it can be useful.  Point is
that currently users aren't aware they should use configure/make to
install bash-completion.  Shall we put "supporting autotools for
installing bash-completion" on the roadmap so that we can focus on
documenting and autotest this when it's due, before or after the 2.0
release?

To indicate some intricacies: I had to run `autogen.sh', otherwise I
received:

    $ autoreconf
    configure.ac:3: required file `./install-sh' not found
    configure.ac:3:   `automake --add-missing' can install `install-sh'
    configure.ac:3: required file `./missing' not found
    configure.ac:3:   `automake --add-missing' can install `missing'
    autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

Regards,

Freddy Vulto
http://fvue.nl