[Bash-completion-devel] Dynamic completion loader.

dpc at ucore.info dpc at ucore.info
Thu Apr 7 19:46:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

Irritated by long bash loading on Ubuntu I've made a patch that is
using bash dynamic completion loading capabilities to speed things up.

My results are:

dpc at mutex:~$ time . /etc/bash_completion.orig
real    0m0.614s
user    0m0.360s
sys     0m0.120s
dpc at mutex:~$ time . /etc/bash_completion.new
real    0m0.168s
user    0m0.120s
sys     0m0.010s

without loosing any functionality (it seems).

I've posted my solution on bug created for Ubuntu, but it just reach
my brain, that there are better places to show it.

Repository is here:
https://github.com/dpc/bash_completion
a post I've made about it on my blog:
http://ucore.info/2011/03/faster-bash-completion-loading/

It seems to me that waiting half a second for a shell every time is a
problem and should get fixed. My patch could be updated to latest
version, cleaned and reviewed by someone more knowledgeable, but after
all I think it's quite good solution.

The question is -- is there anyone interested in merging it with mainline?

Regards,
--
Dawid Ciężarkiewicz
http://ucore.info