[Bash-completion-devel] robustness: var=$(cmd1) cmd2 -<tab>

Igor Murzov e-mail at date.by
Wed Dec 14 00:48:32 UTC 2011

> The attached patch appears to fix it for _parse_help, without breaking
> completions for commands from paths containing backslashed chars (e.g.
> whitespace) or ones starting with a tilde.  _parse_usage is similarly
> affected, but I'm not applying this to either because all this mess
> starts to have a strong code smell on it.

I think your patch is fine. You use eval, so extra quotes are necessary, aren't they?

By the way, "id" is not listed in completions/Makefile.am, is it intentional?

> I'm having a hard time
> believing that it's really this hard to get stuff to work, are we doing
> something wrong?  There must be a cleaner way.

That's what is written in my /usr/share/zsh/4.3.11/_mount:

 # "Mummy, why is nothing ever quite as simple as it should be?"
 #
 # "Well, dear, if it was then the clever people who write programmes would
 # have been replaced by intelligent monkeys and then they'd be out
 # of working roaming the streets, and we wouldn't want that, would we?"

-- Igor