[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][313107] ack-grep (and others): space after partial completion of path

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Wed May 4 08:09:46 UTC 2011

Bugs item #313107, was opened at 04.05.2011 08:09
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=313107&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
Anonymous message posted by gator_ml at yahoo.de

In many cases I run into the problem that I want to enter a path, enter the first characters,
hit return and get the 1st matching directory plus an additional space at the end
(which is very annoying, because I have to delete the trailing space before I can continue).

One example for this, that I just took a closer look at, is "ack-grep".
Let's say I want to grep for "something" in some files in "/usr/local/bin".
I enter "ack-grep something /u" and hit return - "/u" is expanded to "/usr/ "
When I delete the trailing space and append an "l" the same repeats:
  "/usr/l"  will be expanded to "/usr/local/ "

It seems that the problem is the function "__ack_filedir"
(even though I can't really spot the problem):
when I change the last call to __ack_filedir (in /etc/bash_completion.d/ack-grep) to
call "_filedir" instead, completion works without the additional space
(I don't know yet, whether this causes other problems ...)

(This is on Debian squeeze with bash_completion version 1:1.2-3)