[Bash-completion-devel] Namespace

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed May 4 20:49:53 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 10:45 AM, David Paleino wrote:

> Granted, uppercase commands
> are rare in the *nix world, but I can't tell for others (Darwin? *BSD?)

Checked on one FreeBSD and Solaris box; the FreeBSD has no commands
starting with B, the Solaris has one.  No idea about OS X.

Even though Guillaume's suggestion makes sense, I think I still prefer
the underscore prefix for all functions - even though it smells a bit
privateish for a public API, it kind of actually is private in the sense
that these functions are not intended to be directly invoked outside of
completion context.

So BASHCOMP_* for the setting variables seems to be a winner, but how
about if everyone interested submits their suggestion for the remaining
categories and then we vote?  Here's mine:

Private functions and private non-local variables: _bc_*
Public API functions: _BC_*