[Bash-completion-devel] Thanks for packaging bash-completion!

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Tue Jan 31 10:22:26 UTC 2012

Hello Trent,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 18:12:42 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:

> [..]
> Unfortunately my current netbook is a funky ARM thing that is running
> ubuntu 11.10 until I find time to migrate it to wheezy.  Is it
> feasible to just drop current wheezy bash-completion .deb into an old
> ubuntu install?  I realize it's usually a stupid thing to try, but I
> suspect bash-completion is fairly isolated and unlikely to break
> anything.  Ubuntu 11.10 ships with bash 4.2 and bash-completion 1:1.3.

I believe it's pretty safe to do -- yes. Oh well, if you run into any problems,
you can always downgrade bash-completion to the version you have in the
repositories :)

(since downgrading is not "supported", here's a hint: apt-get install
bash-completion=1:1.3-1ubuntu6)

> The Ubuntu-specific patches are pretty minimal (ignoring .pc quilt
> noise), ref. http://packages.qa.debian.org/b/bash-completion.html

Yup, it seems so. Even if it would be better if we could reduce the
Debian-Ubuntu delta here too :)

Kindly,
David

--