[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][313601] bash-completion shouldn't provide completions for generic named tools

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Fri Sep 7 19:36:52 UTC 2012

bash-completion-Bugs item #313601, was changed at 2012-09-07 23:36 by Igor Murzov
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=313601&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
Hello,
currently bash-completion provides completion for tool `makepkg' assuming that it is Slackware one, but there is other tool with such name: in Archlinux the package manager, pacman, provides tool `makepkg' and completion for it, see
http://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git/tree/contrib

I think bash-completion behaves wrongly, it shouldn't provide completion for `makepkg' it is purpose of the "package", in Slackware one would install necessary tool and the package should provide optionally the completion for bash, that's how package `pacman' do in Archlinux.