[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][314211] Unzip command does not accept files with other suffix than .zip

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Mon Apr 8 18:54:40 UTC 2013

bash-completion-Bugs item #314211, was changed at 2013-04-08 21:54 by Ville Skyttä
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=314211&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
Anonymous message posted by akovari at redhat.com

I type unzip, then name of file ending with .war/.esb/.jar... java archives, it doesn't autocomplete it's name since it believes it's not a Zip archive, however, calling file <filename.jar> correctly reports it's a Zip archive. Therefore it should not be based on filename but rather on what file reports.

Date: 2013-04-08 21:54

Message:
I think it would be a too heavyweight operation to run "file" on everything all the time we do filename completions, so as far as I'm concerned we're stuck with filename based associations.

BTW, unzip completion accepts many more suffixes than just .zip -- grep for unzip in bash_completion to see the full list.