[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][314220] Aliasing sed to "sed --regexp-extended" breaks bash-completion

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Thu Apr 18 19:30:26 UTC 2013

bash-completion-Bugs item #314220, was changed at 2013-04-18 22:30 by Ville Skyttä
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=314220&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
I have sed aliased to "sed --regexp-extended", which bash-completion doesn't seem to like.

One way to fix this would be to replace all instances of sed in bash-completion with \sed: the backslash overrides the alias. Another solution would be to bug the sed developers to add a flag (call it "--regexp-basic") that negates the effect of an earlier --regexp-extended. A third solution would be to somehow have bash-completion not inherit user-defined aliases, but I'm not sure if this is possible.

Date: 2013-04-18 22:30

Message:
Not sure what should be done about this, if anything. Bugging the sed developers is not an option because we can't bug devs of all seds on different operating systems. \sed looks like an ugly hack, and I suppose we can get the same effect by running "command sed" instead of just "sed". But I'm afraid that'd break setups of people who need to for example alias sed to gsed to get things to work.