[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][314457] tar completion only handles dashless style

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Tue Oct 1 06:45:45 UTC 2013

bash-completion-Bugs item #314457 was changed at 2013-10-01 09:45 by Ville Skyttä
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=314457&group_id=100114

Original bug number: 1013776

Initial Comment:
Anonymous message posted by mansour at oxplot.com

I'm not used to the usual dashless (is it called BSD style cmd line options?) style options as many aren't (e.g. tar xf some.tar.gz). However, the current completion script for tar only accepts that style and no other. In"complete" if you ask me :)

I rewrote the majority of it to make it very flexible, working with short/long/dashless style options, so things like:

$ tar f <press-tab-here> -x --bzip2

would work fine (ie list only bzip2 compressed files in cwd).

This is my first time writing a bash-completion script and I tried to retain as much code as possible. I have also done a good deal of testing, but do please do some more if can.