[Bash-completion-devel] merging related completions into a file for dynamic loading?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Dec 29 09:38:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Peter Cordes <peter at cordes.ca> wrote:
>  So, thoughts on replacing some of the many files in completions/*
> with symlinks to groups of related commands?

We do already have some such cases done but I don't think we have
rules set when to do it and when not. Note however that there is also
_xfunc which can be used to call (common) functions from different
completion files that might not be loaded, that's kind of a middle
ground between grouped and completely separate completions.

> So I guess my
> thinking is that when we can bring COMPREPLY down from 100k to 50k
> items with sort -u, it's not a bad idea.

Agreed.