[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][314592] Strange autocompletion behavior when use ' (apostroph) in PATH variable

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Sat Feb 8 12:01:44 UTC 2014

bash-completion-Bugs item #314592 was changed at 2014-02-08 14:01 by Ville Skyttä
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=314592&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/415043/strange-autocompletion-behavior
Situation: expanding PATH variable influence word completion, based on whether was apostrophes in additional path or not.
Example: I have an exe file (called "deadbeef") with appropriate exe rights, which path contains 2 apostrophes:
/home/mallniya/hard'n'soft/soft/gnu-linux/portable/deadbeef-0.6.0
Specialy for an experiment I put the same file to the
/home/mallniya/hardnsoftaa/soft/gnu-linux/portable/deadbeef-0.6.0
If I export first path to the variable $PATH there will be no autocompletion in bash, but will be in a second case.
Example:
When I type in terminal first letters of program, which resides in exported directory, and then use TAB for completion :
dead [TAB]
there is no completion in first case, but when I use TAB with the same word in second condition - it works.
Moreover, both which and type commands tells, that exe file is existed in both case. So if I type command "deadbeef" in first case manually - it also executes.
So what's the problem?

Date: 2014-02-08 14:01

Message:
Seems that we (bash-completion) have nothing to do with this; plain vanilla bash behaves as described. See "BUG REPORTS" in the bash man page if you wish to report it against bash.