[Bash-completion-devel] multiple directories in BASH_COMPLETION_COMPAT_DIR ?

Raphaël Droz raphael.droz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 21:53:34 UTC 2014

A long time ago I remember having a patch for that putting multiple
paths inside BASH_COMPLETION_COMPAT_DIR.
But at that time and given Gentoo's script, I finally was able to do it
simply using a combination of BASH_COMPLETION_COMPAT_DIR +
BASH_COMPLETION_DIR.

Now I found that using bash-completion 2.0 of Debian,
BASH_COMPLETION_DIR does not exist anymore so I'm left with only
BASH_COMPLETION_COMPAT_DIR.

The issue is that I've custom completions (experimental or for personal
alias or functions) and those go in ~/.bash_completion.d

In the meantime, BASH_COMPLETION_COMPAT_DIR is setup to the default
value of /etc/bash_completion.d which is useful too.

I want completions from all of:
* ~/.bash_completion.d
* /etc/bash_completion.d
* /usr/share/bash-completion/completions
... to be available.

Unless I'm mistaken there is no more solution to this.
Would you accept a change in the way BASH_COMPLETION_COMPAT_DIR is
handled (eg colon-separated paths list ?) or any alternative solution
for this ?

regards