[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][314814] unexpected token `}'

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Thu Sep 25 12:50:28 UTC 2014

bash-completion-Bugs item #314814 was changed at 2014-09-25 12:50 by Fred Olson
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=314814&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
Today after doing updates on my recently installed Ubuntu 14.04 system,
when I open a terminal I get:
bash: /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion: line 226: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
bash: /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion: line 226: `}'

So far I have not noticed any completion anomalies.

Note tho I am not sure if it is relevant... prior to the install of Ubuntu 14.04, I have used used Ubuntu with the tcsh shell rather than bash
(for historic reasons).  I finally decided to convert to use bash.
In tcsh I had accumulated numerous command aliases. I copied tcsh's .aliases
file over to be the basis for my bash command aliases. I commented all aliases
out and am gradually uncommenting and converting those I actually use now.

Fred

Comment By: Fred Olson (fholson-guest)
Date: 2014-09-25 12:50

Message:
9/25/14 i have now tracked down a way to avoid the bash-completion error messages.
I had a command alias named "done" which displays a full screen
"DONE" on the terminal to get my attention when a big file download
is complete.  If there is a bash alias named "done" or one named
"do" the bash-completion error is shown.

Should this problem be solved by alias being modified to
prohibit aliases named "do' or 'done' ?