[Bash-completion-devel] bash-completion & nslcd resulting in "nslcd: <passwd="*">"

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Sat Apr 18 03:21:26 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 06:45:17PM +0200, Tobias Göbel wrote:

> i set up nslcd to authentificate against an ldap server in arch-linux,
> and am useing bash-completion.
> Now whenever i type something in the console and useing tab-completion,
> my log is spammed with:
>
> Apr 17 18:24:33 arch-template nslcd[19845]: <passwd="*"> request denied
> by validnames option
>
> after each press of TAB.

With every command?  Or with completions only for one specific command?

Maybe a completion is trying to generate a list of all valid
usernames, or something.

You could debug it with
set -x
ls ./abc<tab>
set +x

Then go through the trace output and try any external commands on
their own, to see if they're the cause.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)