[Bash-completion-devel] Bash-completion-devel Digest, Vol 84, Issue 7

Tristan Wibberley tristan.wibberley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 20:08:20 UTC 2015

On 20 April 2015 at 13:00, <
bash-completion-devel-request at lists.alioth.debian.org> wrote:

[snipped digest mail]

> Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 16:05:30 +0300
> From: Ville Skytt? <ville.skytta at iki.fi>
> CABr9L5ADihGZEx08Qp3OBhCuP0CPyuJ2yHUyMJ0Ze0U2+dN9tg at mail.gmail.com>
>

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 5:31 PM, Tristan Wibberley
> <tristan.wibberley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Secondly, please would you have a look at the bundle and consider
> applying
> > it?.
>
> I started looking into it. For me this is the first time I've come
> across git bundles and I must say that for contributions like this I
> find the format-patch/send-email approach which is documented in our
> README *much* preferrable. Could you please follow that in the future?

Certainly, it was also the first time I used git bundles so I thought I'd
try it out. I didn't  know about the README's requirements because I first
found the mailing list via google.

Anyway, about the first commit. I looked into what make produces off
> the modified Makefile, but it did not add any whitespace to any "#
> Files" or "# Not a target" lines, but I do see more than one space in
> the "# File is an intermediate prerequisite" line.

Could you clarify
> what the two first modifications are for, i.e. do you have a case
> where make produces output that would require these adjustments?

As I recall, nothing requires the modifications to the match for '# Files'
and '# Not a target' except for good practice. Since the output in Ubuntu
changed in way that nonobviously broke completion I thought that I would
make the script robust to the wider class of format changes so that those
features don't vanish - unnoticed - if somebody unifies the output of make.
Ie, I applied the network rule based on this experience.

The variable patch seems innocent enough, I've applied it.

Great, thanks.

Any thoughts on the problem with the test case for the hidden target
completion?

Thanks
--
Tristan