Debian - pilot-link plucker jpilot - upstream issue tracking (bts-link)

Sandro Tosi morph at debian.org
Sat Jun 6 15:34:40 UTC 2009

Hi Ludovic

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 17:20, Ludovic Rousseau
<ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/6 Sandro Tosi <morph at debian.org>:
>> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 14:10, Ludovic Rousseau
>>> I will try to contact the admin.
>>
>> Thanks a lot!
>
> Answer from admin:

Thanks for reaching the admin so fast!

> " The 'btslink' spider/harvester running on merkel.debian.org and
> inf-6632.int-evry.fr have each spidered the bugtracker > 85 times in
> less than 3 minutes, tripping both to be blacklisted.
>
> If you know who runs the spiders that run on those IPs, please tell them
> to tune it back so it doesn't spider so fast, and it will stay under the
> radar and not be blocked by the monitoring. The IPs are:
>
> 192.25.206.16
> 157.159.110.22
>
> I've manually removed them for now. Please try to access it again and
> see if it continues to function for you. "
>
> The admin complain is not completely unjustified :-)

85 requests / 210 seconds = not even a request ever 2 seconds, that
for a public website is near to nothing (IMO).

We do a page access for each forward link, every time the tool is executed.

Anyhow, we run bts-link only twice a week (at times even less
frequently). Is it possible to ask for definitive whitelisting to the
admin? At least for the merkel ip.

> Maybe the btslink code needs some optimisation.

Usually optimization is done to make things go faster, not to slow down :)

Cheers,