[Buildd-tools-devel] Moving from SVN to GIT

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Sat Aug 4 13:18:47 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I was considering moving the SVN repository we are currently using
over to GIT.  GIT is a rather more flexible system, particularly with
respect to its handling of branches (I have had problems with merging
between the release and development branches of schroot due to SVN's
deficiencies).

I have done a test run of git-svnimport, and it imported all of the
tree, including branches and tags, without problems.  However, we
might want to use separate trees for schroot and sbuild (they are
currently in the same repo).  It's probably possible to separate them
if desired.

We could continue to use it in a centralised fashion, whereby we all
can commit to a central repository, or distributed.  It will also
allow people without commit access to clone and commit to their own
repositories, and then allow us to pull their changes.

Does anyone have any comments or objections to this?

If this is OK, would anyone object to doing this at some point in the
future (probably mid-September)?

Thanks,
Roger

--