[Buildd-tools-devel] porting schroot to CentOS4

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Wed Sep 12 12:33:25 UTC 2007

Dennis van Dok <dennisvd at nikhef.nl> writes:

> just a short note to let you know I managed to port schroot to CentOS 4.
>  I think it's a great tool with many uses, so kudos to you and thanks
> for such wonderful work! It really deserves to spread beyond Debian ;-)

Wow, thanks for taking the time to port it!

I did get a very early version built on Fedora some time ago, but
without having regular access to such systems, it's unfortunate that
Debian-specific things creep in.  However, I am always happy to apply
patches to increase portability--the tool is not intended to be
distribution- (or even Linux-) specific.

> The porting was not entirely smooth, so I had to use some CentOS
> specific patches; for details see
> http://www.nikhef.nl/~dennisvd/chroot.html.

Do you have any diffs of the changes?  If you would like anything
applying, please feel free to post patches to this list.

Regarding lockdev: The access(2) thing looks like a nasty bug.  Could
you report a bug about it in CentOS/Fedora.  Also note that (AFAICT)
Debian is the de-facto upstream of lockdev since the upstream went
away (I'm one of the part-time comaintainers as it happens).  You
might want to ask them to update to the latest Debian version (1.0.3).

Regarding PAM: The include mechanism in Debian is different from
upstream (though both are as of last week supported).  I can supply
both Debian- and Fedora/CentOS-specific variants.  The @include syntax
is going to be sent upstream for consideration at some point, I
believe.

Regarding the setup scripts: We can detect the locations of the
binaries at configure time to improve portability here.

BTW, there's a public SVN repo if you want to track development.  And,
I'll be converting it to GIT over the next week, so you'll be able to
clone your own repository and branch off it if you want to maintain
your own changes.  If you intend to maintain the CentOS port in the
long term, I'm sure we can arrange access to the main GIT repository
at some point as well.

Regards,
Roger

--