[buildd-tools-devel] Some cleanup for current tip

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Wed Aug 5 23:26:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 11:44:58PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 11:39:56PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > Issues I've found testing were:
> > - file chroots are not setting $PS1 in the shell (buggy in older
> >   versions as well)
> > - file session and source chroots hang unpacking the source tarball
> >
> > Unsure why file chroots don't get a shell prompt--shell execution is
> > independent of the chroot type.  The unpack error is not clear
> > either; this will need some more investigation.
>
> The hang was due to a buggy 05file and 10mount setup script, which
> set the wrong unpack location for the tarfile to be unpacked in.
>
> I found a more subtle bug here, not present in any stable release,
> in the run-parts logging code run_parts::run_child, triggered by
> running with --verbose to make it log the tar unpacking.  The
> additional data to log is the likely cause of the bug.  Strangely,
> the 00check script doesn't trigger it.
>
> This is a bug which needs fixing prior to release, but it's hopefully
> the last major issue that's not purely cosmetic.

OK, that's fixed, but I'm not competely sure there isn't some
other bug here.  The buffering code needs some further testing.
Unfortunately, this is next to impossible to test using unit
testing since it's timing-dependent and is intimately tied to
how we interact with the unpredictable output of child processes.

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh