[buildd-tools-devel] Setting up wanna-build & friends howto?

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Fri Nov 6 22:26:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 12:47:03AM -0300, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> Is there a howto on how to setup wanna-build, buildd, quinn-diff and
> sbuild to act as a buildd network? By reading documentation I was able
> to figure out the general workflow, but not the specific details.
>
> I am doing this:
>
> 1. Install wanna-build and quinn-diff from sid.
> 2. Create a buildd user.
> 3. chown buildd /var/lib/wanna-build
> 4. Run quinn-diff with a Packages/Source pair
> 5. Point /etc/buildd/wanna-build.conf to the archive to get the
> packages.
> 5. Try to import everything into wanna-build -> this is what I'm
> currently stuck at.

You might want to check out the wanna-build in use on the buildds:
  https://buildd.debian.org/git/wanna-build.git/

This contains changes not yet merged into the packaged wanna-build,
plus additional support scripts to assist downloading the packages/
sources and merging them into the databases.

> I try to import the packages and then the quinn-diff:
>
> % sudo -u buildd wanna-build --merge-packages --create-db < Packages

This is an annoying, but harmless, warning.  I'll make sure it's fixed.

> Use of uninitialized value $prevstate in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/WannaBuild/Database.pm line 1976, <> chunk 1.
> Use of uninitialized value $prevstate in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/WannaBuild/Database.pm line 1989, <> chunk 1.
> Can't modify non-lvalue subroutine call at /usr/share/perl5/WannaBuild/Database.pm line 1285, <> chunk 1.

This is a bug.  Fixed in git, and it'll go into unstable sometime soon.

> wanna-build (Debian sbuild) 0.59.0 (02 Aug 2009) on pcfelipe.sateler.com
> Using database build-db/unstable
> Checking for maintenance lock
> Locking /var/lib/wanna-build/build-db-unstable database
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/share/perl5/WannaBuild/Database.pm line 554.
> ffmpeg-extra: ok
> Unlocking /var/lib/wanna-build/build-db-unstable database
>
> However ffmpeg is missing in my arch.
>
> BTW, should I file bugs about all those uninitialized variables? Also,
> what is wanna-build.conf for if you need to pass the Packages and
> quinn-diff to stdin?

I found an issue with the global wanna-build.conf handling (broken default).
It's looking for /etc/wanna-build/wanna-build.conf, but it's actually
installed as /etc/buildd/wanna-build.conf which is incorrect.  I'll fix
the default while I'm at it.

WRT the uninitialised variables, bug filing would be very much appreciated.
For the above, I'm looking at them now, but any reports for additional ones
would be great.

Thanks,
Roger

--