[buildd-tools-devel] apt-get option to keep dummy packages

Andres Mejia mcitadel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 18:55:39 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm helping out with testing the new apt resolver used in the latest sbuild in
unstable. Question I have is, is there some option or set of options that will
cause apt-get to refuse to remove a package or maybe a set of packages. For
example, aptitude has this option.

-o Aptitude::ProblemResolver::Hints::KeepDummy=reject <dummy_package> :UNINST

This means aptitude won't accept a solution where the <dummy_package> will be
uninstalled.

So far, I've only been able to implement a similar feature using this patch at
[1]. With this patch, running 'apt-get -o APT::Get::Ignore-Broken-With-
Install=1 install <dummy_package>' will ensure the dummy package is kept even
if dependencies on the system are in a broken state. In fact, it will ensure
all packages specified to be installed will be/remain installed.

1. http://sbuild.pastebin.com/pHZV3eh0

--
Regards,
Andres Mejia