[buildd-tools-devel] re buildd's resolver and package's build deps

gregor herrmann gregoa at debian.org
Tue Feb 22 23:27:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 22:28:05 +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:

> > >   perl (>= 5.10) | libmodule-build-perl
> > Could you please explain what's "pointless and/or broken" about that
> > one?
> > (Except that it's old since even lenny has 5.10.0.
> Yes, that's exactly the reason.  Because the perl (>= 5.10) is
> satisfied under all circumstances, the libmodule-build-perl
> alternative is entirely redundant.

Right, and we (as in the pkg-perl team) update those routinely when
we do new uploads for newer upstream releases or bugfixes.

> > perl (>= 5.10.1) | libtest-simple-perl (>= 0.88)
> > perl (>= 5.12.3) | libmodule-build-perl (>= 0.3601)
> These are more recent, but even for these cases the versioned
> perl dependency without the alternative is entirely adequate for
> building purposes.

Depends on the target -- the second example would only build with the
perl version from experimental. It's a way to achieve:
- avoid installing libmodule-build-perl if someone has already perl
  5.12 on their machine
- prepare for the perl 5.12 move to unstable

> > For perl packages: if Module::Build, Test::More, etc. (as dual-lifed
> > modules) are in two packages, I see no point in not allowing them
> > both. And this makes backporting, building "at home" etc. easier.
> That's definitely something we should not be making harder.  One
> problem with the alternatives is bitrot though, if they are just
> left.  They should be actively tested, and dropped eventually.

Agreed, that "cleanup" needs to be part of the maintainance routine.

> For the examples above, it definitely makes sense for backporting.
> For others, it's not quite so useful.

Ok, I can agree on that, too :)

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Big Bill Broonzy: How do you want it done